Saturday, June 30, 2007

One Week

One week without smoking and I think I'm in better shape mentally and physically than I have been in years. To help assuage the pangs, I've been trying to walk about 5 miles a day; this week I did it 5 times, the other days, I buried myself in my gardens, adding manure and slow release fertilizer and toting watering cans from the back yard to the front gardens. I do this for a few reasons: 1) it's exercise, 2) instead of emptying Caroline's little pool onto the ground, I fill the watering cans and bring them around to the front to water, usually about 15 trips, and 3) it keeps my hands busy so I don't eat as much. I have also realized one of the really weird things about my smoking is that very few people knew I smoked. My parents, my best friend, my husband, and very few others; I didn't usually smoke in public during the day on errands, didn't smoke in the car; so basically my question is why did I bother? Who knows, but I'm done with it and it feels good. I am still taking things one day at a time because with any addiction you just never know, but in my heart and soul, I feel done with it today.

2 comments:

Biddie said...

Beautifully said, Mo - I'm really pleased for you! You are smart to keep up the offense with your defensive mindset.

Cheryl said...

Wow, nice writing! You have done awesome, quitting smoking is tough enough, but when you also have a toddler whew, that's even tougher. Well, we are a couple of tough old chicks anyway! Good job Mo, and yes your hair looks fabulous :)