Thursday, November 1, 2007

Happy Halloween

The long awaited for day arrived. We have had the costume that Caroline picked out hanging in the closet since it seems like April (I know it wasn't that early, but come on Christmas stuff has been on the shelves at the stores for a month) So with the addition of a boa and a purse, she is ready to go out trick or treating at 4:30. People weren't even home from work yet and when it came down to it, it wasn't the candy, I think it was the dressing up and walking around the neighborhood and seeing other kids that had her going. Now the day had started out pretty normal and I hadn't mentioned dressing up or candy, but there must have been a vibe in the air, cuz there was no nap or even a semblance of one and by 5:00 it was melt down time, crying, her costume hurt, didn't want the hat on, etc. Back home we went to hand out candy to other kids with Caroline helping and all was well. We had some tea on the front porch to keep warm and she fell asleep handing out candy at about 7:15. Whew, her first real Halloween over. I find myself already planning for next year. My plan after last year's holidays was to get out the day after each one and hit the decorations sales, so that's the plan for today.


The Princess getting ready to attend to the awaiting masses.

Speaking to the masses from the front porch.

Off to get some candy and mingle with the masses.

8 comments:

Biddie said...

(grin) Whew! Halloween was quite an event for Caroline (and you)! She was quite the princess!! And today will be fun looking for stuff for next year.

Halloween is a bust out here where I live - it's too far out on a dirt road with no lights and just one kid in the area. The first year I got the place lit up and had treats ready but no takers - I ended up eating all the candy over a period of a couple of weeks.

Cheryl said...

She looks beautiful! Congrats on surviving your first Halloween. We had the usual rush of no~one at our house...oh well, I was cranky anyways...

Denise Rosier said...

I had to stop in and see Caroline. I had a feeling she'd be adorable! How cute that she got started so early, and fell asleep handing out candy. That's a great story. :o)

My daughter was the Grim Reaper. To her, the scarier, the better.

Every year, I tell myself I'm going to "all out" and decorate for Halloween. Disneyland does a great job with the "Nightmare Before Christmas" theme. The Haunted Mansion is decorated just as you would for Christmas but with orange, black and white. It looks incredible. One day, I'd like to attempt it myself.

Kristen said...

I saw you guys walking to the In Laws and Corey said why are they out already it's early!!! I said 2 year olds go out before dark, we used to do that too, VERY CUTE!!! I had 95 kids (some duplicates due to my dual doors) but they don't always understand they have been to my house already so I give them candy again! Missed you guys!

Maureen said...

Thank you all for stopping in to check on the wee one.

Denise-I hope all is well with you in your area. I can't believe that a large part of the fire was started by a young boy playing with fire. The guilt and shame he must be carrying has to be overwhelming. As far as costumes for Caroline, I'm sure she will get into the scarier stuff too, both myself and my husband were into the horror stuff, besides that can be super fun with all the makeup and costuming improvements available for cheap prices now adays.

Maureen said...

Kris - we had to do the obligatory family viewing of the "spooky house" at sister-in-laws and we were going to stop to see you, but Caroline had had it so we tooted the horn. I couldn't believe how much candy we gave out this year!!! Zoinks !!!!

Kristen said...

I love the picture with her hand in the air like the little lady that she is!! I saw and heard your toot! I was busy getting ready for the goblins, don't worry your time will come, our "block" is jammin, $45 worth of Candy!!!

Kristen said...

Oh and the crocs just make the outfit!!