Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Pumpkin Carving and Working on My Happy Place

A friend's daughter voiced a love of carving pumpkins and since I had 4 needing to be carved and a two year old, I willingly agreed to have her help. She did a great job on them and took care of the two biggest. As you can see Caroline is busy tasting everything and it got to the point of her tossing the pumpkin guts around the kitchen; but we got it done and had fun at the same time.

I started working on my sun room again. Basically I'm trying to make this area of the house mine, where I can go and get away from all and to needlework, read, listen to my music, or generally just space out looking at the sky. It has been primed since we moved in about a year ago and has SLOWLY transformed into what it is now. The most recent change is painting the lower area below the windows an antique gold/yellow (mustard) and hanging swags to try to cover the ugly framing of the ugly windows. I like the idea of the swags but I'm not sure if it's the wrong material or if I should paint the window trim white like the rest of the walls (I don't think the antique mustard would be good because of the shelf being white and things maybe being too chopped up looking if I did it) Let me know what y'all think...PLEASE !!!! Also, as a reference regarding pre mustard paint, check out some of the most recent pictures of Caroline, I think you can get an idea of what it looked like.

After paint, looking from living room into sun room.

Same, but different angle

Had to show off the pumpkins.

5 comments:

Biddie said...

Good Morning!! I'm being bold enough to make a couple of comments about painting in your sun room ....

Take a careful evaluation about painting the wood trim in the sun room - since you have wood trim in the rest of your house and wood trim seems to be used a lot in houses in your area, there is a resale factor to be considered if you don't plan to be in this house long. This aside, I'd paint it white, along with that little green corner cabinet. The upper walls maybe the same mustard color but several shades lighter. Instead of the swag curtains, check out the valences in the home decorating area of Lowe's or a linen and curtain store - since they are relatively cheap (as compared to full curtains), you can get a color that is lighter for summer and a darker, warmer color for winter - they are easy to swap out. This looks like a great place to put some of your house plants!!

P.S. I really like your purple iris stained glass panel!

Cheryl said...

How beautiful!! What a difference! I like your swags...maybe just soften them up a little, make them drape down a wee bit more in the middle? I agree with Mom on the cabinent, but knowing you that's probably original antique paint, and therefore quite valuable...instead of white on the top of the walls, how about a soft cream? Anyway, it looks lovely, and really has an inviting feel to it. Good job!

Maureen said...

Cheryl, you are correct about the cabinet, the paint is what makes it valuable. I really like the idea of painting the upper part a cream color (that would tie in the swags a bit better as the print in the fabric is a cream color) I think that is what was making me just OK with it and not loving it.
Biddie, you are correct about the wood work thoughts, but the trim in the house is so blah and nothing exceptional that we have painted some already. In fact the sun room is actually all tongue and groove pine board, as well as the fire place wall in the living room, and in it's natural state it literally sucked all the light out of the rooms. It was awful. I went through a lot of termoil about painting it, but it really has turned out much better. The changing out the swags for the seasons is a great idea, so now I'm on the hunt for more material. I bought both the iris panels at the Shrimp Festival in Fernandina. It is one of the top ten judged showed in the southeast and there are many different forms of art shown. Those were the only ones I could actually afford.

Biddie said...

Whoops! Sorry about my ignorance about the little green cabinet .... glad that I wasn't nearby with a paintbrush in my hand!!

I know what you mean about brown paneling sucking the light out of a room. Years ago, when the kids were very little, we lived in a cabin that was all wood paneled. After a while I couldn't stand it any longer and painted the ceiling and walls a warm white.

Kristen said...

I need to see it in person..... When can I come over???