Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Our Newest Family Member


This is his home for the next few weeks. He only eats walnut tree leaves.

Here he is in all his green glory. If you click on the picture it gives you a pretty good idea about his other minute markings. He is really quite beautiful.

And here are his boom booms. Check out the geometry in them. I clean his home out every day and there are about 10 of these in the bottom. He has been eating about 6 whole leaves a night. This whole metamorphosis will be amazing to watch. I have already had to reprimand Caroline for sloshing him around too much (she wants him to move around and eat for her). He now lives on top of the frig and is only taken down under adult supervision for Caroline to check him out.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

What an incredible find! I haven't seen an adult in years, they are so rare. It will be fascinating watching him as he progresses along in his development. What is his name?

Biddie said...

I've seen a couple like this on my plants over the years - I can vouch for their voracious appetites!

What fun!!

Kristen said...

Now the boom booms are what I was seeing on my front porch from the little bugger that was eating my plant and Biddie wondered how I could see his poop!!!