Friday, August 17, 2007

Do Caterpillars Boom Boom While They Pupate?

I awoke this AM thinking that I hadn't checked on the cocoon lately. So hurried to get coffee for myself and a bottle prepped for the baby for when she woke up and then did what I thought was a quick check on the morphing insect inside the cocoon. What I found was a hole and some pellets that look like rat boomer or roach egg casings. People that have been following this amazing adventure in nature are probably thinking I have a boom boom fetish, but I assure you it is just plain old curiosity. Yep you guessed it I had to squish one of the jelly beans, and then of course another to make sure they had the same contents.

SOOOOOO, the answer to the question is YES! I had no idea the caterpillar still needed to boom boom when metamorphosing. I'm truly in awe of this process I have been blessed to witness.





11 comments:

Cheryl said...

Um, yes.. that's just lovely...oh my.

Cheryl said...

Ok, I admit, I checked back for a poop update...perhaps we both need to get out more. ;)

Biddie said...

I, on the other hand, seem to be somewhat of a skeptic here .... Is the cocoon-ee gone? I thought they were in a state of quasi-suspended animation - this seems like too much B-B's and how did it (i.e., Sir C.) know to turn around to chew holes thru the bottom??

Cheryl said...

Ha!!
Sorry...I just had to giggle...
Anyway, how does a bird know to fly South?
How do bears know to hibernate? And bears give birth during hibernation....all under quasi-suspended animation...I don't think a caterpillar pooping whilst under a similar state is so far fetched.
But that's just my thoughts on the topic.
Maybe I was right...it's a wallaby.

Kristen said...

Those aren't poops

Cheryl said...

Well they sure as hell aren't M&M's!!!

Kristen said...

Did you eat one to check?

Cheryl said...

That's it...I'm driving over...

Kristen said...

bring it on sister

Cheryl said...

Ahem...can we have an update please before this turns into a big brawl??

Kristen said...

Yee Haw