Friday, February 15, 2008

Chuckles VS Punxsutawney Phil VS General Beau Lee

Now, I basically grew up with Phil and of course the wonderful movie "Groundhog Day" starring the infamous Punxsutawney Phil, so, imagine my surprise to find out there are 3 "official" groundhogs. I awoke Feb 2nd to have "Chuckles" the "official Connecticut prognosticator" and a bunch of hoopla about him. I was a bit confused at first because in my mind there is only one groundhog that has predicted the early/late spring thing depending upon weather (I meant to do that) or not he sees his shadow. Then after a couple more slugs of coffee realized these yahoos up here were serious and wouldn't even mention the "other groundhog". My confusion only grew deeper when I received a phone call from my mom in Georgia and she informed me that "General Beau Lee" had predicted an early spring. My question to her was "is he your local weather guy?", her response, "No, he's the "official" Georgia groundhog."

So, I've sat here for the past couple of weeks wondering how a groundhog prognosticator gets his credentials. I haven't come up with anything, but decided that out of the three (that I know about) the majority should rule; therefore, I will go with the prediction of an early spring.
Happy Early Spring Everyone!

11 comments:

Cheryl said...

Well, you know what they say, "Hope springs eternal"...here's to hoping we have an early spring!

Kristen said...

I wish for that also, this winter stinks, oh and whats this, I am on at home sitting here in my kitchen on my dear old friend, Laptop! yep it's true we are together again, I've found my long lost friend. Hi Girlies!! Can't wait to get outside and take a walk, new for this year, I am going to try and ride my bike more and walk, probably not walk much I would rather ride a bike, it goes faster than my feet. How is every one???

Kristen said...

Hey Yo, how are you??? how is needlework going? I start a class on 3/6/08 for primitive rug hooking, punchneedle (I dont need it but came with package)and making penny rugs

Cheryl said...

Those must be pretty darn small rugs....ha!!

Kristen said...

hee hee hee surely you can't be serious

Maureen said...

Hey there Kris what kind of package? And what is the cost? I might be interested in attending as well, but leave next Tues for GA and return on the 7th. It sounds like it would be fun.

Kristen said...

It's in the NW Connecticut continuing ed flyer they sent around, $99 plus I think $25 for supplies, I can get you the book, I still have it here
Winsted College is where you go for class and I think it is 8 weeks every Thursday.

Biddie said...

Reflections upon the groundhogs ... I have always been upset at a crowd of people noisily surrounding a poor groundhog's CAGE, rudely yanking it out and holding it up in the air! Then the grand master determines whether he, himself, can see his own shadows and puts it off as the poor blinking, nervous groundhog's dictum ...

Having been raised with the original GH Phil, I, too, was confused by references to other GH's. But I guess the country is big enough to have early or late Springs independently in different parts of the country ....

Where are the GH's for the mid-west, northwest, etc. ?? We need to know when to expect Spring in the other regions also!

Kristen said...

I don't have your email so here is the info
Non Traditional Rug Hooking Starts 3/6 7pm to 9pm thursdays, 8 sessions, $99 plus $25 for supplies, we will be making penny rugs, needle felting, hooking with unusual fibers and wool dying., 1-800-300-4781 or
www.educationconnection.org

Cheryl said...

Hey you :) hope you have great family time on your trip down south...breath some southern air for me. I'll check in on Lily and tell her not to worry you'll be back soon...with some good scritches behind her ears.

Biddie said...

Yo and Howdy!!!